Monday, May 4, 2009

Finding a fedora

I don't know where my distaste for hats began, but I never wear them. I think part of the problem is that I think they look funny on me and perhaps my head it too big or misshapen, or something. A few weeks ago, while in the car with some friends, I tried on someone's fedora. I was pleasantly surprised to see that not only was it comfortable, it actually looked kind of cute. I could see myself wearing it at a picnic, the beach, or doing errands. There are plenty of options out there, but I've narrowed them down to affordable ones that would work with most outfits. The problem is finding one that will fit my big head.
This one might be a good "starter" to see if I would actually wear one.
Pinstripe Fedora $8.80
source: Forever 21
A good shape is going to be key for me. I like the lighter color with the contrasting black band.
Spillane Straw Fedora $28
source: Urban Outfitters
I feel like I should have a cigar in my mouth with this one.
Cafe Habana fedora $24
source: Fredflare
The striped detailing makes this fedora a bit more interesting and the price is just right.
Straw Fedora $12.50
source: Wet Seal
This one is a nicer quality and it's on a major sale, but it's not exactly the shape I'm wanting.
Canvas fedora $19.99 (from $59)
source: Banana Republic
I enjoy the color scheme with this hat. It seems like it would be easy to wear. It's just a bit more than I'm wanting to pay.
Straw Trilby hat $34.50
source: J. Crew

This would be perfect for the beach and it's hard to tell from the picture, but it might be too big for everyday wear.
AE Straw Fedora
source: AE
So I really like the shape of the UO and Wet Seal styles, but I like the femininity of the J.Crew hat. What do you think? Do you wear hats?
{One more day to enter the giveaway! Click on the bracelet to the right for more info.}

21 comments:

bananas. said...

i have the one from urban outfitters and i love it. i'm really digging the striped one from wetseal. i'm sure you will look cute in whatever one you choose. be not afraid of the hat. they're really great for bad hair days.

christina said...

I agree 100%. I love fedoras, but I hate hats on me...they're really cute on everyone but me as a matter of fact. I really wish I could get up the nerve to try a fedora. Maybe if you do it first, I'll cave to the peer pressure.

P.S. Love the one from Urban Outfitters.

Rachel said...

I really like that Wet Seal one as well. I also like the UO one.
I don't wear hats, only because my hair has always been short and I don't think the two mix well!
Take pictures if you do decide on one!!

inkWELL Press said...

I love to wear hats - I just tend to forget to throw them on all that often. I like the one from Wet Seal... that might be the way to go to "get your feet wet" with wearing hats. That way if you still decide it's not for you, you haven't spent too much. On the other hand, if you find that you love wearing it, then you can always go and get a pricier one...

You need to post a pic of you wearing your new fedora!

candacemorris said...

Absolutely I wear hats. I have noticed MANY times how bored I am with my outfit, but add gloves, hat, boots with goofy socks, scarf, and you have insta-chic.

Fedoras are an absolute MUST in Seattle, and I daresay I love living where accessories are a MUST!!

Good luck finding one. I have been happy with my purchase from H&M, but am looking for a real vintage find as well...

Lauren said...

I like straw fedoras, specifically the one in the second photo. I think you'll wear it a lot! And in summer it won't seem gimmicky- just summery.

VanessasRunway said...

I've actually been wanting a straw fedora for summer. I kind of would like a bit more forehead to wear hats - is that weird?! I barely have a forehead so hats look funny on me!But a Fedora maybe just what I'm looking for. I actually like the Urban Outfitter Fedora the best! :)

Diana said...

my husband has a row of vintage fedora hats and i try to get away with wearing them :P

i love the gray one with the feminine touch to it

Julia said...

I would totally wear hats, especially ones as cute as those! But, alas, I don't have the face/head for hats. They just make me look ridiculous!

Aline said...

I ordered one from f21 a few days ago....hopefully it will look ok on me!

Wally said...

I have bought a great deal of hats in my time. When I´m in the store I think it looks great, but when I come home my confidence drops to zero, and I think I look strange in the hat, at feels like it would draw too much attetion...

Blair Friedeman said...

I don't wear hats as much as I would like! I really love the straw options but these are all great choices!

Rachel Follett said...

I love the gray one from Banana. Super cute!

paula said...

I am a hat junky. I actually got my fedora at Target. It fit the best of all I tried on.

Felicia|DaLipstickBandit said...

soooooooo cute! i have a straw one..perfect for spring/summer!

TERI REES WANG said...

I love hats. I look good in hats (tiny pea brain).
...but, since I have been wearing corrective glasses the last two years, there has been a struggle. It's just to awkward between the two.

Start with on that is a similar color to your hair, so that when you see your Self, you won't be so freaked out. Wear it like you own it and not like you have a wild seagull sitting on your head. One the has a soft or flexible hand will be a good first as well. It will find it's way to be comfortable on your head, and when you just want it off, you can fold it down and place it in your bag; and that will be great for the summer beach or pool. Nice picks.

Denise said...

You should look at Brixton hats. I love their style...ergh, I really want one but they're a tad overpriced =(

Anonymous said...

It's such a tough call with hats! It really is a case of needing to try one on. If you're ever at the H & M in Atlanta, they have some really cute mens hats that work equally as well for women. I totally absconded with my husbands white fedora with a black band!

Callie Grayson said...

I like the first one!
I have my grandfathers hat, I love it... I get complements on it all the time.

Unknown said...

i don't wear hats...i wish i did (cover up those bad hair days). i just feel so over-the-top in them, which is silly.
xox

kadler said...

I actually love that AE one.

I never wear hats, but love the idea of them.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Pin It button on image hover