Thursday, December 3, 2009

A tale of Christmas' past

Complaining about not finding the right gifts for my family is a favorite past time of mine. I have much difficulty, especially with my parents. Well, recently I was blabbering about not knowing what to give my folks and my friend and neighbor suggested I buy a print off of Shorpy, a website that offers "vintage, high resolution photographs" that are archivally printed and ready to frame. After take a peek at this website, not only am I convinced this would make a perfect gift for my parents, I'm enthralled with all of the lovely images of real people, in real moments, living a long and rich history.

I found some images of Christmas and thought they'd be a nice reflection of where we've come from...
Christmas with Wilbur and Orville: 1900

here

Just What I Always Wanted: 1901

here

A Lodging House Christmas : 1914

here

Church of the Nativity: 1940

here

And a Bone for Fido: 1923

here
New images are posted regularly here. Images are ready to purchase here.
I have to admit, that last image is making my heart melt...

23 comments:

  1. That's a fantastic idea! And what great photos. I could spend hours on this site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tree has some major drama swags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool site, love the nativity church 1940. the lighting is fantastic!!
    xx
    callie

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow I just bought 3 prints before I knew what hit me. My new favorite site. I got "Greaseball," "White House Dog," and "Holdouts." (Notice a theme here?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha-ha, that little girl looks miserable! Beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are so amazing. The light in the 4th is remarkable...and the last is just too cute for words!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, how cool! And yes, that last picture turned my heart into a big ole puddle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! wow! unbelievable photos... a bit creepy too! ;O) I am amazed at the first pic, the ceiling looks like a floor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness - these are fantastic! I especially love "Add a Bone for Fido" (so sweet)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you so much for sharing this website! their images are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very beautiful images!
    Happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these Christina...adore the sepia brown from old photographs!
    xo*

    ReplyDelete
  13. gah! THESE ARE PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome pics. The top one of the tree has been one of my favorites for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these! Especially that top one and the church. And what a great gift they will make too!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with you... that last image is so ridiculously cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great idea! It reminds me to get it for the person that has everything and needs nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The photo of the church is my favorite. And I love the pouty little girl in the Just What I Always Wanted photo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. WOW. The photograph of the church is fantastic, and you know that last pic with the praying boy and pup makes my heart melt too!

    ReplyDelete

I do my best to respond to your comments. If you are asking a question, please make sure to check back in the comments sections for a response.
Your comments make me so very happy. Thank you!