Thursday, May 6, 2010

Language of Flowers

{via}
I know close to nothing about flowers and plants. I've been lucky enough to keep our little house plant alive and attribute it's long lifespan to the plant's resiliency which has miraculously survived my sporadic watering routine.  I may not know a thing about how to keep greenery alive, but I have always been interested in flowers' symbolic nature. The poster above (date unknown) illustrates the positive nature in which humans regard these colorful beauties. I wonder if instead of creating bouquets for purely visual pleasantries, if instead we created bouquets to say something.  What if every flower in a bouquet was like a line of poetry...
"I bask in your youthful splendor and am bashfully in love with your modesty and innocence."   
Let's pretend that my feminine charm reeked of modesty, innocence, and playful coquetry for a second (I know it's hard to imagine but work with me), wouldn't a bundle of carefully chosen flowers be just the medium to express one's love?  I'll have to pay more attention the next time I buy someone flowers, wouldn't want to send the wrong message, you know?

7 comments:

TERI REES WANG said...

That is a little old book that gets reintroduced over and over again, retelling the antiquated Victorian translation of the meaning of giving or receiving a bouquet.

Maybe we can just say "Thank you", with out reading unintended messages into a simple gift.

Still, some use this little book, as a baby naming guide.

TERI REES WANG said...

P.S...

I find it forever funny, when brides choose white Narcissus blooms for the wedding flowers.

Christina said...

teri- hahaha, you are so right about the narcissus blooms. point well taken about the simplicity of a thank you too.

Love Stella Rose said...

I actually took this into account during my modern day renissance wedding SERIOUSLY MODERN lol..but I handed out handmade satchels of potporri using speicific flowers/herbs depending on their meanings.. attached a little note explaining my wish for them and it was a great conversation starter and gift

http://sunnyseams.blogspot.com/

Gorgeous Glam said...

Oh this is so precious! I love the poster it's so fab! xoxo

WinnibriggsHouse said...

I think the nostalgia thing with this is lovely. Great to have a reminder of the way they thought then. However I think in this day and age a pretty posy as a thank you of any flower should be cherished. Something simple given in genuine friendship is worth its weight in gold (even tulips or chrysanths!)

Diana said...

I love this as a poster. I'm big on gardens but have yet to built one. This year, I've sent flowers out to friends instead of presents. It's a little pricier but flowers aren't as common so it's a big hit. what woman doesn't love getting flowers? =)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Pin It button on image hover