Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Down and Out Beauty: When to splurge and when to save

When choosing new makeup there are definitely products that are worth the investment and great drug store brands that are more friendly to your bank account. Its helpful to know where to spend your money.

Foundation, powder, and eye shadow are the products you want to spend a little extra money. Professional foundations and powders have finely milled color particles that look much more natural on the skin and are easier to blend. Pro eye shadows won't drop on your cheeks during application, have much more color pay off and stay put all day.
Shiseido Makeup Dual Balancing Foundation $38.50; Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder $30; MAC eyeshadow $15 
Your local drugstore is a great place to stock up on eye and lip pencils, lip gloss, mascara, and eyelashes. I really have never felt much difference between these drugstore products and their more expensive duplicates. Boots No. 7 makes my absolute favorite nude lip pencil and ELF keeps me in black eye liner (three for $3). Revlon Just Bitten lip stain is almost identical to its Smashbox counterpart at one third of the price. I use Ardell lashes applied with Duo lash glue on most of my brides. They give a soft natural look and the glue dries completely clear and is waterproof. Covergirl LashBlast Fusion mascara gives amazingly fat lashes just make sure to use your lash comb when building up multiple coats.
Ardell Lashes $3.49; Elf eye pencil set $3; Revlon Just Bitten Lip Stain + Balm $8.99; Boots No. 7 Line and Define Lip Liner $6.99; Covergirl LashBlast Fusion Mascara $8.99
What are your favorite beauty products to splurge and save on?

-Layne
Layne is a licensed aesthetician and makeup artist working at Urban Sanctuary in Athens, GA. She writes the bi-weekly column, Down and Out Beauty.

8 comments:

Karena said...

Save on lip glosses and mascara. Splurge on skin care though not high-end, mid line like Roc!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Stephanie said...

This summer I've actually ditched foundation altogether in favor of a tinted moisturizer with SPF. I went with Boots No.7, and I looove it. It saves me a step and I don't even feel like I'm wearing makeup, but it does a nice job of evening out my skin tone.

I haven't bought new eyeshadow in foreeeever (seriously, it's been YEARS), but in college I would sometimes splurge on Urban Decay eyeshadow. They don't even make half the colors I own anymore. :-P

Anonymous said...

I buy samples from Alima Pure online when I need a new color. They're only $1.50 and they're very generously packed. They'll last months, and they're healthful--so I know I'm not putting synthetic chemicals near my eyes. Plus, I love the eco-friendly vibe of the company and find the people there a true delight to work with.

Anyway, that's what I save on. I will splurge for foundation and powder--but don't spend much more than $30 on each, as I'm going to start buying both from Alima.

When it comes to my health, I don't mind spending a few extra dollars. I'd rather spend a little more now, than have to spend a lot more later in possible doctors' visits.

--Elizabeth

Sécia Mischke said...

I'm a Bare Essentials girl thru and thru and I love Urban Decay eyeshadows. Great post!

♥ sécia
www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

Malinda said...

I started out my make up wearing days with only drugstore bought make up - when I started at my current company I decided to go a little more upscale and ditched foundation and went with MAC studio fix.(including mascara and concealer) but when we got strapped for cash, I went back to my drugstore standards and have regretted every day of it. I'll continue with the drugstore mascara (MAC is too thick and gloopy for me) but the rest is going MAC again.

melina bee said...

for me, I feel that when pigment is the main focus of the product, it's best to splurge (for example, face powder, bright eye shadow, lipstick). Part of this may be b/c I am olive skinned and have found most drugstore brands have undertones which don't flatter my complexion. I get products like mascara, black or brown liner from the drugstore tho , esp b/c mascara is supposed to be changed out regularly

Unknown said...

agree with melina bee about the quality of things that need colour payoff. there're some d/s brands that're decent tradeoffs for the higher-ends.

Some Korean Website Highjacker said...

oh i'm such a make-up nut! wholeheartedly agree about knowing when to spend your extra boodle on something that's gonna actually enhance rather than wreak havoc. smart tips! thanks for sharing these faves.

i've been smitten with Josie Marans entire line of goodness, it's eco friendly and sincerely amazing to apply. the Argan oil is an every day douse in for sure!

happy almost weekend Christina and thanks so much for visiting me. the fact you took the time is really touching, i can only imagine how busy you get so much appreciation!!! ♥

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Pin It button on image hover