Friday, July 16, 2010

Down & Out Dapper #11

It's time for some man style with guest blogger Keith Rein. If you missed his previous posts, you can check them out here.  Take it away Keith...
Hey guys, sorry we missed each other last month! Since we are about half way through the summer, I thought I'd bring up some year-round essentials your man should have that will help him carry his style over into many season.
Pants
We've already been over jeans, and if you need a refresher please check this post. Whether he works in the office or not, every man should own a pair of well-fitting chinos or khakis (but that's a color, not pants). They should be slim, but not too tight (no one wants nut huggers). Often times, one will run into baggy potato sack chinos with enough room for a loved one or ballet-tight pants - no middle ground. Well, J.Crew has a fit called urban slim fit which balances mobility and fit seamlessly.
Sun-faded Stanton pant in urban slim fit $49.50
These guys are well constructed, mid-weight, and softer than an angel's bottom!
It's also worth looking into Dockers Ankle Chino for Urban Outfitters. These pants have a standard inseam, across all their sizes, of 30. So I only recommend them if you have an inseam of 30. They are meant to be high-waters, which makes them very limited. However, with a 30 inseam you can rock them cuffed or uncuffed for many occasions. Constructed out of a heavy material, the Dockers will even get your man through the winter. I am fortunate to have a 30 inseam, and I own two pairs of these pants. I suggest you size up one size.
Shirt
I recently stumbled upon Biased Cut - a web shop specializing in custom tailored button up shirts. Although, I've been to a tailor for alterations and hemming, I never thought of getting a shirt tailored to my body. Now that I have, it isn't even worth buying a shirt elsewhere. You can choose between 3 different collar types; french or button cuff; slim or normal cut; and even get your shit monogrammed. Clocking in at $80 per shirt, it may seem pricey, but compared to any other mass marketed shirt (i.e. brooks brothers) it's on point, and is guaranteed to fit you. When you create an account (its free!) and store your measurements you will receive a $20 credit towards your first shirt.
Biased Cut Eucalypt $85

Shoes
I'm not sure if you guys have caught on yet, but I've got a problem with shoes... and mid-century chairs, but that's another story. I could go on and on about what you need to look for in a good pair of dress shoes. I like a pair of brogues (aka wingtips, oxfords). You can pair them with a suit and even bust 'em out with your denim. They will very easily take a guy from the office to the evening with style. Obtaining a new, nice pair means spending $200-500 on a handmade shoe that will last the wearer a life time. They are much easier to repair and age very well. Instead of dropping that much coin, you can look for some nice wingtips on Ebay, thrift stores, and even Etsy! I just scored these vintage Florsheim Longwings from Etsy for $75. Some trusty names to look for are: Florsheim, Alden, and Allen Edmonds.
Look for leather soles and nailing in the heel for signs of quality. 

That's a good start, I'll continue this post next month with some accessories and such. I will also leave you with some fantastic prints for you home from my friend Katrin Hagen from Mischief Champion (shop coming soon).


Koalas. $13


OMG Dad. $13


If Only. $13

5 comments:

flynn said...

My boy has a birthday coming up this month and the biased cut site looks perfect for presents. Yes!

Iva Messy said...

OMG OMG OMG!!! those prints!!! I HAVE TO GET THEM!!!!! my son says "MOMMY!!!! You're squishing me" lol {close enough to squashing}

and the OMG Dad....its just too funny not to have!! LOL

love you Christina! I hope you have a great weekend!! hi to B!

Iva Messy said...

OHHHHH sorry!!!!! HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND KEITH!!! AWESOME MAN STYLE POST!!!!!

drollgirl said...

these prints are ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wendy said...

Those shoes are too cool!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Pin It button on image hover