Tuesday, January 26, 2010

DIY: Easy Upcycled Coasters

Dearest readers, it has been quite some time since I've posted a DIY project (where has all the time gone?) To get us back into the swing of things, I've chosen a simply DIY "upcycling" project involving one of my very favorite mediums: Mod Podge. I'll go through the simple steps if you care to follow along.
1) I found a set of wooden coasters at a local thrift store. They even came with this nifty storage stand and the coasters cost me no more than $2.
2) With the tip of a flat head screwdriver and a small paint spackle, I removed the cork-y, cheap, peeling crap off of the top of each coaster.

3) I lightly sanded the coasters and used a spray on primer to seal the wood.
4) I chose my trusty high-glossy white spray paint and carefully applied a few light layers. Do this in a ventilated area unless you want to get high, and in that case, all the more power to you.

5) I have a stash of decorative paper for packaging materials and I chose two different black and white patterns. I eye-balled the measurements but, in retrospect, I should have bought a damn compass.

6) After applying a light layer of glossy Mod Podge, I used my handy bone tool (from my old bookmaking days) and smoothed the paper neatly into the edges. A simple butter knife would work too, in case you don't have a bone tool laying around.
7) I applied a few more layers, allowing drying time in between, and lightly wet sanded the dried Mod Podge with fine sand paper. This allows for a smooth finish so your glass doesn't wobble.

8) Finally, I finished the coasters with a glossy layer of spray on sealant. This helps waterproof the wood and paper.

Fancy huh?! We aren't actually in need of any coasters, but it was a fun project. I am a firm believer that you can decoupage just about anything back into life.


To see my previous less-than-sophisticated and super easy DIY projects, click here!

22 comments:

A Life More Fabulous said...

So cute - you are too clever! Don't downplay yourself you are a serious little crafting wizard!

(love the b/w polka dots!)

xo

Lindsey Lou! said...

Wow, these are lovely.

Morgan said...

they look great! nice work.

PS~Erin said...

These are so great! Nice job and thanks for sharing with us!

In Honor Of Design said...

I loooove these! Such a cute idea. I am always trying to think of ways to make cute coasters.

:) Anna

A Perfect Peach said...

super cute idea to upcycle these!

Fee-AMore said...

Wow these look amazing! Oh yes, i am currently hosting a giveaway together with cookware.com, thought perhaps you might like to check it out too!

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said...

Ummm super fancy! LOVE!

Diana said...

Awesome project!! I love the design you chose, too.

SogniSorrisi said...

How cool!

Iva said...

seriously BEAUTIFUL!! you know whats funny?! the other day I was just thinking about how I kinda was missing your DIY's! ;) thanks for doing one again ! YAY!!

Savoir Weddings said...

I love these. Wonder if I could do it do? Going to scour second hand shops see if I can get some coasters to practice on.

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

talent is what you have!! got the hairpins and LOVE them!

drollgirl said...

BRILLIANT!!! you are smart! and crafty! and they look AWESOME!

Design Darling said...

less-than-sophisticated?!!! these are fabulous! i love the idea and more than that i love your sense of humor about the undertaking. i just about died at "do this in a ventilated area unless you want to get high, and in that case, all the more power to you." great post and thank you for stopping by my blog :)

Laura Trevey said...

awesome!!

I use coasters daily too :)

This Lovely City said...

Those are darling!

anotherfishinthesea said...

These are so gorgeous!!

Kotori said...

How fun are these?! I miss your DIYs! You always come up with such smart ideas!

The Cottage Cheese said...

Fabulous coasters Christina! Mod Podge intimidates me, but I have some and have been itching to try it out. Love that tablecloth too!

Hanako66 said...

those turned out really cool!!

Mod Podge Amy said...

These are fabulous! I'm going to post . . :D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Pin It button on image hover