Tuesday, January 26, 2010

DIY: Easy Upcycled Coasters

Dearest readers, it has been quite some time since I've posted a DIY project (where has all the time gone?) To get us back into the swing of things, I've chosen a simply DIY "upcycling" project involving one of my very favorite mediums: Mod Podge. I'll go through the simple steps if you care to follow along.
1) I found a set of wooden coasters at a local thrift store. They even came with this nifty storage stand and the coasters cost me no more than $2.
2) With the tip of a flat head screwdriver and a small paint spackle, I removed the cork-y, cheap, peeling crap off of the top of each coaster.

3) I lightly sanded the coasters and used a spray on primer to seal the wood.
4) I chose my trusty high-glossy white spray paint and carefully applied a few light layers. Do this in a ventilated area unless you want to get high, and in that case, all the more power to you.

5) I have a stash of decorative paper for packaging materials and I chose two different black and white patterns. I eye-balled the measurements but, in retrospect, I should have bought a damn compass.

6) After applying a light layer of glossy Mod Podge, I used my handy bone tool (from my old bookmaking days) and smoothed the paper neatly into the edges. A simple butter knife would work too, in case you don't have a bone tool laying around.
7) I applied a few more layers, allowing drying time in between, and lightly wet sanded the dried Mod Podge with fine sand paper. This allows for a smooth finish so your glass doesn't wobble.

8) Finally, I finished the coasters with a glossy layer of spray on sealant. This helps waterproof the wood and paper.

Fancy huh?! We aren't actually in need of any coasters, but it was a fun project. I am a firm believer that you can decoupage just about anything back into life.


To see my previous less-than-sophisticated and super easy DIY projects, click here!

21 comments:

escapade said...

So cute - you are too clever! Don't downplay yourself you are a serious little crafting wizard!

(love the b/w polka dots!)

xo

Lindsey G. said...

Wow, these are lovely.

Morgan said...

they look great! nice work.

PS~Erin said...

These are so great! Nice job and thanks for sharing with us!

In Honor Of Design said...

I loooove these! Such a cute idea. I am always trying to think of ways to make cute coasters.

:) Anna

A Perfect Peach said...

super cute idea to upcycle these!

_ffyona said...

Wow these look amazing! Oh yes, i am currently hosting a giveaway together with cookware.com, thought perhaps you might like to check it out too!

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said...

Ummm super fancy! LOVE!

Diana said...

Awesome project!! I love the design you chose, too.

Iva Messy said...

seriously BEAUTIFUL!! you know whats funny?! the other day I was just thinking about how I kinda was missing your DIY's! ;) thanks for doing one again ! YAY!!

Unknown said...

I love these. Wonder if I could do it do? Going to scour second hand shops see if I can get some coasters to practice on.

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

talent is what you have!! got the hairpins and LOVE them!

drollgirl said...

BRILLIANT!!! you are smart! and crafty! and they look AWESOME!

Unknown said...

less-than-sophisticated?!!! these are fabulous! i love the idea and more than that i love your sense of humor about the undertaking. i just about died at "do this in a ventilated area unless you want to get high, and in that case, all the more power to you." great post and thank you for stopping by my blog :)

Laura Trevey said...

awesome!!

I use coasters daily too :)

Unknown said...

Those are darling!

Anonymous said...

These are so gorgeous!!

inkWELL Press said...

How fun are these?! I miss your DIYs! You always come up with such smart ideas!

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

Fabulous coasters Christina! Mod Podge intimidates me, but I have some and have been itching to try it out. Love that tablecloth too!

Aline said...

those turned out really cool!!

Unknown said...

These are fabulous! I'm going to post . . :D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Pin It button on image hover