Thursday, March 19, 2009

Making me dizzy

The winding staircase. Whenever I see one, I'm struck first with envy and then I wonder if I would ever get tired of walking in circle (especially if I'm tired). Well, dizzy or not, I think it's totally worth it. There's something nostalgic about a spiral staircase and although there are plenty of modern versions, the image always brings me to another place. I think, if I ever had the opportunity to build a house, I'd like one.
This space exudes old style glamour.
source: Vintage Views
Here's an exterior, colorful example.
source: Knight Iron Works
What do you dream about having in your home? Is there something you might already have that you could never do without (design wise)? I couldn't do without this.

5 comments:

Callie Grayson said...

a fireplace. i would love a real fireplace! a nice tub to soak in and a beautiful garden!

alissa said...

The first staircase is amazing! I love stairs in homes - when people really go to an effort to make them something. They can be elegant, strong, floating, mysterious... Fundamentally they get you the same place - but they can be much more!

Courtney said...

Ooh, how lovely. I always wanted a spiral staircase as a child.

I really enjoy when 'fake' staircases are used as bookshelves. I saw this used in a trendy loft in Vancouver and it's been on my mind ever since.

keith p. rein said...

i never get dizzy, even when drinky on my spiral staircase. in no way is it elegant... maybe some color would be nice though...

Corie said...

Im always afraid that I'll fall down ours because of the dogs.

So metally. But I guess that's a danger with any staircase... damn. My resolve just faded.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Pin It button on image hover