Sunday, March 22, 2009

Book and in other news

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions on a book to read. I decided on one that the author of Bookwormz recommended (I'm sorry, I don't know your name).
Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster

source: BetterWorld Books
The subtitle pretty much says it all. This is a memoir about a an ex-sorority girl that grows up and falls upon hard times, all the while elbowing her way through corporate America and cursing anyone who stands in her way. The author is HILARIOUS and I simultaneously want to slap her and hug her. She knows she's a bitch (excuse my french), but she doesn't care and if she does care she's not doing anything about it. I'm only halfway through, but I love it. If you need a good laugh and you're not offended by bristly, politically incorrect humor, than this is the book for you. I love her on paper, but in person, I'm pretty sure I'd kick her in the shin and then run screaming for fear she'd unleash her wrath. Thank you Bookwormz for the recommendation!

In other sad news, a dear friend of mine lost his mother this past Friday. I am leaving out of town eary tomorrow morning to attend the funeral. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers and this is a most difficult time. I won't be able to post or comment until sometime Tuesday. Until then, I hope eveyone's week starts on a positive, hopeful note.
~Christina

8 comments:

Christina said...

Thanks for posting about this book, it sounds like just what I need right now =)

Miss | A said...

I will have your friend in my prayers. I am so sorry for his loss. xoxo

H @ Narnia's Closet said...

i'm sorry about your friends mom, but this book seems like a spirit lifter.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your friend's loss...I'm sure your presence will mean the world to him.

Anonymous said...

looks awesome! I will def. look it up...

Your friend is my prayers and thoughts:)

BookWormz said...

First - so sorry to hear about your friend's Mom. I can't even imagine what he's going through, and you're such a good friend to be by his side through this.

Second - I'm SO glad you liked this book!!! I can't tell you how much I love her novels. I just picked up "Pretty Fat" by her, and can't wait to get started (still finishing Jodi Picoult's new book - "Handle With Care")!! I actually met her once and now follow her on twitter - her username is altgeldshrugged. I met her at a book club where she was the featured guest. She's hysterical, and very snarky, just like her books. :)
www.bookwormzreader.blogspot.com
ps - I'm Rachel - nice to meetcha! ;)

Rachel Follett said...

Thanks for the recommended read. I am sorry to hear about your friend. Hope your week gets better!

PS~Erin said...

Sounds like a good one! Love the cover... And I do usually judge a book by its cover.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Pin It button on image hover